On behalf of the EU Commission (DG CLIMA), Öko-Recherche has been working on a series of analyses evaluating the implementation of the F-gas Regulation (EU) No 517/2014 since 2015.
This includes among others the following:
- Monitoring of refrigerant prices: As a result of the progressive reduction (“phase-down”) of HFC quantities in the EU, prices for high GWP HFC refrigerants haven risen strongly and further price increases are expected in the coming years. In addition, prohibitions stipulated in Annex III of the F-gas Regulation (EU) No 517/2014 will contribute to price changes.
In order to identify the actual effects of price increases on investment decisions and market developments, Öko-Recherche has developed a methodology for regular price monitoring and analysis of price developments. It allows gathering and evaluating data on purchase and selling prices of commonly used refrigerants and their alternatives at all levels of the supply chain (gas producers, gas distributors, OEMs, and service companies). The analysis also covers aspects such as the sectoral use and regional availability refrigerants and prices of quota authorisations.
Concerning the acquisition of companies, Öko-Recherche works closely with associations from Germany (BWP, VDKF) and other EU member states (AFCE, ATF, CITEPA, SNEFFCA) and EU associations (AREA, ASERCOM, EPEE, Eurovent). Meanwhile about 70 companies from all levels of the refrigerant supply chain are participating in the quarterly price survey. Here, all information is treated confidentially and evaluated anonymously.
Companies are invited to participate in the price monitoring survey. Questionnaires in German and English for the respective group as well as more detailed information about the price monitoring survey (see webinar presentation) can be found under the following links. Providing price data retroactively for earlier quarters is not required, but - if possible - very welcome. Please send the completed questionnaire to Ms. Julia Kleinschmidt (firstname.lastname@example.org), who is also available for any further questions. Deadline for price data to be considered in the price monitoring report for the first quarter of 2019 (Q1/2019) is April 19, 2019.
- Analysis of the quota allocation mechanism and authorisations: The “HFC phase-down” enshrined in F-gas Regulation (EU) No 517/2014 has been implemented through a quota system since the beginning of 2015. All companies that wish to place HFCs on market must participate in this system. In cooperation with Öko-Institut, Öko-Recherche carried out an analysis by assessing experiences with quota allocation and authorisations, looking at potential problems and developing suggestions for the improvement of the mechanism. The EU Commission’s report on this topic can be found here.
- Analysis of alternatives in commercial refrigeration: Direct expansion of refrigerants with a GWP > 150 will be banned in commercial multi-pack centralized refrigeration systems > 40 kW from 2022 onwards (Annex III of the EU F-gas Regulation). Öko-Recherche carried out a comprehensive survey, asking manufacturers and operators about the technology options used and underlying decisions. The report of the EU Commission can be found here.
- Artikel zum Preismonitoring
- Briefing Paper: Preliminary assessment of the quota allocation method
- Briefing Paper: Availability of alternatives to HFCs in commercial refrigeration in the EU